Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Another Story Finished

I finished the first draft of "Water Calls to Water," but 10-to-1 I'm going to end up changing the title, because it's incredibly vague and doesn't have a whole lot to do with the story. I'm going to have to do it quickly, though, I have to have it printed and magicked into 14 copies by Thursday. Going through it, it seems that the first half is written in a markedly different style than the second, and I think that has to do with the fact that I just got off reading something interesting before I started writing it, so the first half was me unconsciously mimicking that style, and the second half was a few days afterwards when my own style resurfaced. Still, my decision for Lent to not go a single day without writing a least a sentence has helped my writing considerably. It's never writing that's difficult for me, it's starting to write that's hard.

It's been a month, so pretty soon I should be hearing back from Strange Horizons on my story, and also from CICADA as, if all has gone well, "My Brother's Own Words" has made it into the March/April 2007 issue.

I've also been nominated for Lieutenant Commander of my university's Science Fiction club - er, I mean, Secretary/Treasurer. At first I was a little nervous and was going to turn down the nomination (because I really don't have a lot of free time left with my job on top of my school), but my friends in the club said the job could be as easy or hard as I wanted it to be. Besides, part of the reason nothing happens to me is because I don't take enough risks. Plus, I get the keys to the office and can have my own office hours! That is, if I'm elected.

Nothing much else has happened. I was actually forgiven quite quickly by The Gateway, because I got to see and review 300. Let's just say, it didn't live up to the hype. You can read the entirety of my review in next week's issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment