Sunday, July 08, 2012

The Weekly Wanting (11)

It's time for the Weekly Wanting again! Hooray!

Genre: Romance, Historical
Cover Snark: She's flashing her ankles! That hussy!
The Story: An aristocrat marries an heiress out of convenience, despite being in love with another woman, unaware that his wife is already deeply in love with him.
Why Do I Want It?  It's Sherry Thomas! Of course I want it! Plus the lovely ladies at Dear Author gave it a fab review.

The Rook: A Novel, by Daniel O'Malley
 Genre: Fantasy, Contemporary
Cover Snark: Keep Calm and Play Chess
The Story: An amnesiac woman learns she used to belong to a secret magical organization in Britain, and she must find out her betrayed her.
Why I Want It: Well, the Book Smugglers wrote a superb review of it that I promptly forgot all about, so when they brought it up again in their Best of the Year So Far article for Kirkus, it reminded me to put it on this list.

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone, by Kat Rosenfield
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Cover Snark: Six Feet Under.
The Story: A girl trying to escape from a small town finds her life intersecting with the final days of another girl who's found dead outside the town limits.
Why I Want It? It received a recommendation from a no less esteemed personage than John Green, whom I'm becoming an increasing fan of since The Fault In Our Stars and FINALLY discovering Vlogbrothers.  He said that this is a very literary YA with exquisite language, so that definitely caught my eye.

Thieftaker, by D.B. Jackson
 Genre: Historical, Fantasy
Cover Snark: "And for my next trick, I will saw this woman in half - WITH MY MIND."
The Story: A conjurer in pre-Revolutionary America is tasked with using his powers to solve the murder of a Royalist's daughter.
Why I Want It? Found this one from a great blog review over at A Dribble of Ink. You had me with the idea of magicians in tricorn hats. Also, yeah, the unconventional fantasy setting sounded completely awesome. But mainly - TRICORN HATS, YO.

The Assassin's Curse, by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Genre: Fantasy
Cover Snark: A thousand of one nights of pretty, pretty covers.
The Story: When the daughter of pirate royalty flees an arranged marriage, they send an assassin after her - too bad a curse suddenly forces him to protect her or face terrible pain.
Why I Want It? Chalk this one up to Paranormal Indulgence who had a post on it! Pirates and assassins and unconventional fantasy settings! How can anyone NOT want that?

And that's it for this week! What are your eagerly-waited books?

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Sherry Thomas book (but, hey! Sherry Thomas!!) and I have 'Thieftaker' on my 'look for' list. and then I added 'The Assassin's Curse' to that list, thanks to you. So I score that 3 for 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! The Assassin's Curse cover is so very very pretty.

      Delete